More and more Australian homeowners are turning to felines when looking for the ideal pet, and who can blame them? The cat has a level of independence that a dog simply does not, and in many ways, this makes looking after your four-legged friend a lot easier. There are many breeds of cat, as you would expect, and by doing a little online research, you can select a breed that fits in with your lifestyle. On the other hand, you may fall in love with a kitten at first sight and your mind is made up right there and then, but either way, here are a few important aspects of having a cat as a pet.
- Toilet Training – Obviously very important, there are online resources to train your cat to use a litter box, which doesn’t take long, as cats do not like to mess up their living environment. Once pussy knows where the litter tray is, he will use it as second nature, and with regular litter changes, your home will not suffer from unpleasant odours.
- Get the Cat Microchipped – This is very important, as your contact details are embedded into the chip, and we all know how easy it is for a cat to get lost. If, for example, he was hit by a car and a good Samaritan took him to a vet, you would soon be informed. Register the kitten with your local vet as soon as you bring him home, and he can have his first set of vaccinations that will protect him from viruses and diseases.
- Pet Insurance – All in all, it is worth taking out some form of pet insurance for your cat, and the online pet insurance provider would have several packages to suit every budget, from a comprehensive policy that covers just about everything, to a basic emergency care package that covers any major treatment. If you live in Australia, a quick Google search will take you to the website of a leading pet insurance provider, and after selecting a suitable policy, a secure online payment sees your cat covered from day one.
- Nourishment – Cats, like most animals, require a balanced diet, and there are suitable foods available in both tinned and sachet formats. It is also a good idea to introduce your cat to dry food, which acts much like a supplement, ensuring he gets all those necessary vitamins and minerals.
- Install a Cat Flap – Once your cat knows how to use the cat flap, it makes access much more convenient, for both you and the cat, and a good cat flap can be found from an online supplier. Your local handyman can easily fit the flap, or if you are a DIY enthusiast, it only takes a couple of hours to fit.
Cats are very low maintenance pets and they make for great companions, and by taking all of the above into account, your cat will be protected and ready to explore the neighbourhood.